Lisa Hershey serves as Executive Director (ED) for Housing California (CA). She leads Housing CA’s 20+-member Board of Directors (BoD) and a committed team of staff members to create a California with homes, health, and wealth for all in thriving, sustainable communities.
Under Lisa’s leadership, Housing CA has:
- Raised more than $18.5 billion through state legislative and budgetary efforts.
- Co-led 2 state bond campaigns that resulted in $6 billion of new affordable housing funding.
- Started California’s multi-sector Opportunity Starts at Home program and grew the pioneering Residents United Network grassroots organizing program statewide.
- Passed numerous bills to increase affordable housing production and address homelessness including vanguard renter protections in 2019-2020, an unprecedented housing package in 2017-18 that included a permanent source of funding to build affordable homes and the nation’s largest affordable housing bond, and a landmark climate change investment in 2014-2016 with a 20% annual appropriation to the Affordable Housing and Sustainable Communities Program.
- Doubled its organizational budget, greatly increased its staff size, and has both grown the in–person annual conference to the biggest affordable housing and homelessness conference in the nation with 2,000+ participants and successfully pivoted this annual event to a successful virtual “un-conference” during the COVID-19 pandemic.
With more than 30 years of leadership and management experience, Lisa is recognized as a dynamic nonprofit and public sector leader with a proven record of advancing statewide transformational change resulting in big policy wins while driving vision, executing mission, designing strategy, guiding operations, cultivating high-performing teams, navigating dynamic environments, raising millions in revenue, and garnering diverse financial investments. She currently serves on the Governor’s Community Vaccine Advisory Committee and on the Board of Directors for Ruby’s Place. She also recently served on the Governor’s California Complete Count Committee for 2020 Census and as a 2019 California Influencer for the Sacramento Bee.
Prior to moving into the ED role in November 2016, Lisa served as Associate Director and Sustainable Communities Coordinator at Housing CA. Before joining Housing CA, Lisa served as the Public Health Institute (PHI) program director for California Convergence, a network of resident leaders and partners creating healthy, safe, and equitable communities where every person can participate and thrive. During her 21 years in state and local public sector roles, Lisa managed department-wide equity and place-based initiatives. She also served as an advisor to the director and deputy director on Policy and Programs in the California Department Public Health (CDPH) to inform SB 375 and AB 32 initial implementation and development of the Strategic Growth Council. She represented CDPH as a liaison for the department’s executive team with other state departments, agencies, and diverse external partners.
Lisa received a B.A. in Psychology from San Diego State University and a Master’s in Public Health from Loma Linda University School of Public Health. She is also a yoga teacher and certified peace ambassador. Lisa loves to run, practice yoga, and hang out with her family.
Direct dial: 916.287.9885
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers